Wednesday, May 9, 2012
Cajun Chicken Pasta - On the Lighter Side
Skinny Taste. There are many great looking recipes there. Now here's the recipe for this fantastic dish. I hope you will give this a try.
Adapted from Skinny Taste
8 ounces uncooked linguine-I used Barilla's whole grain spaghetti instead
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into strips
1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning- I used almost 3 by the time it was done
about 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 of a red onion, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 tomatoes, diced- I used Roma tomatoes
1 cup, fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup skim milk- I used 2% because that's what we use
1 tablespoon flour
3 tablespoons light cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 scallions/green onions, sliced
1. Prepare all the vegetables, mushrooms and chicken. Add the milk, flour, and cream cheese to a blender and pulse until well combined and smooth. Set aside. Season the sliced chicken well with Cajun seasoning, and salt if needed. I used 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning on the chicken. Use more or less, according to your preferences.
2. Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. (I used a stainless skillet, so I had to use 1 tablespoon oil.) Add sliced chicken to skillet and saute for 5-6 minutes until done. You may need to do this in 2 batches. When done, place chicken on a plate and set aside.
4. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Add peppers, onions, mushrooms, garlic and a pinch of salt to skillet and saute 3-4 minutes. Add diced tomatoes and just heat through. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the chicken broth. when it simmers, stir in the cream cheese slurry, stirring until thickened about 2 minutes. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings, if needed. I added a bit more Cajun spice at this point plus more salt.
5. Stir in the cooked pasta and heat through. Top with the sliced green onions and fresh ground pepper. Boy is this good; Enjoy!