Scones are easy to make, just don't overwork the dough. Stir up the ingredients, then pat the dough into an even circle, and cut into wedges. If you want to make mini scones, divide the dough in half and then cut into wedges.
These scones bake quickly! I almost left mine in the oven too long and you can see how golden they got. They were done in less time than the recipe stated. These Bacon-Cheddar-Chive Scones taste amazing, so I hope you'll give them a try!
Adapted from King Arthur Flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt- recipe calls for 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
4 tablespoons cold butter
1 cup coarsely grated or diced cheddar cheese
1/3 cup snipped fresh chives -can use diced scallion tops
1/2 pound cooked bacon, crumbled - about 1 cup
3/4 cups heavy cream, plus 2 tablespoons more if needed
about 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground pepper- not really needed
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or grease it.
1. Whisk together flour,salt, baking powder, and sugar.
2. Use a pastry cutter, work the butter into the dry ingredients until unevenly crumbly
3. Mix the bacon, cheese and chives in with the flour mixture.
4. Add 3/4 cup of the heavy cream, stirring to combine. Try squeezing the dough together; if it is too crumbly and there are many crumbs in the bottom of the bowl, add the extra 1 or 2 tablespoons of cream until the dough comes together. Transfer the sticky dough to a floured work surface.
5. Pat the dough into about a 7 inch disk about 3/4 inch thick. Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
6. Use a knife to cut the disk of dough into 8 wedges. Spread the wedges apart on the pan.
7. Brush each scone with some cream. This will help them to brown.
8. Bake the scones for 22-24 minutes until golden brown. Mine were done in 19 minutes, so watch carefully! Mini scones will bake in 15-20 minutes. Remove scones from oven. Serve them warm, if possible, but room temperature is fine also.
These scones can be made several hours ahead of time, or even the night before, and then baked right before serving. To do this, get them ready for baking, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place baking pan with scones in the refrigerator for several hours, or overnight. The next morning, remove plastic wrap and place scones in preheated oven and bake per directions. Enjoy!
Unbaked scones can also be frozen. Place scones on baking sheet, and freeze them. Remove frozen scones and wrap artight in freezer bags and place in freezer. When ready to bake, place scones on a baking sheet, brush with cream and bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 35-40 minute. Watch carefully.