1 pound ground chuck or ground round beef
1 medium onion, diced
1- 15 ounce can can diced tomatoes, or stewed tomatoes (I pulse them in the blender)
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 -4 ounce can diced green chilies
1 package taco seasoning
flour or corn tortillas- I used 18 fajita sized flour tortillas,(6 for each layer), but any size will work
about 1 cup of sour cream
1 pound freshly grated cheddar cheese
1. Brown ground beef and onion in a skillet; drain off any fat from the meat. Add the rest of the ingredients to the meat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Place 1/4-1/2 cup of mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch non reactive baking pan. Place a layer of tortillas over that.
3. Place about 1/3 of the meat mixture over the tortillas. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
4. Add another layer of tortillas, and then a layer of meat sauce. Cover with more cheese; then dollop with all of the sour cream and gently spread out.
5. Lastly, cover with the rest of the tortillas, the meat sauce and the rest of the cheese.
6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Remove from oven and let cool about 10-15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: I usually make this casserole in 3 layers, but it would work well in 2 layers, if preferred.